This is my beautiful daughter Bethany. She is 13 and full of life. When she was 3 she was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (UC) and Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC). UC is similar to Crohn’s Diseases and many people suffer from it including a few famous ones. One great person who suffered from UC was William Wilberforce the great Englishman who helped to abolish the slave trade throughout all of the British Empire in 1807.
UC is different from Crohn’s in that it only affects the colon, and PSC is a rare liver disease which basically scars the liver until it is no longer functional. Because of this Bethany is in need of a liver transplant. She is currently on the transplant list awaiting a new healthy liver.
Bethany has a great attitude and a giving spirit. In fact for the past several years, Bethany has raised money to buy Christmas gifts for children who have to be in the hospital over Christmas. She has sold hot chocolate, made and sold ornaments, and even used her own money to buy wonderful gifts for other children.
Recently, Bethany has had to be hospitalize numerous times due to complications with her liver disease. So many of our family have friends have asked what they can do to help us during these trying times. Below I have listed our very specific requests. Thank you for all your love, prayers, calls and notes.
In His grace,
How you can help us through these times and while we wait for Bethany’s new liver:
Pray, Pray, and Pray some more. I believe with every ounce of my being that God hears the prayers of His children and that prayer is the single most important work each of you can do on behalf of Bethany and our family.
This being said many of you have asked to help in other tangible ways. Below are specific things we believe would be helpful. Please do not feel obligated if you are unable to help in one of these ways, we truly understand. We simply ask for your prayers.
1. Bring a meal…we probably don’t need more than one or two meals a week, but this would be helpful with me in the hospital with Bethany and Angela still trying to work. I honestly don’t even know if Angela has been to the grocery store in the last week or two.
2. Offer to hang out with Jonathan, or help out by taking him to karate class…He currently is covered with camps for the next two weeks, but if Bethany continues to do poorly (prayerfully not), then getting out for an hour or two would be a nice change for him.
3. Sit with Bethany either at the hospital or home (depending where we are)…Bethany loves the visit, and we could use the rest to just run an errand, take a breath, or just make a call.
4. If meals, sitting with Bethany or hanging with Jonathan aren’t something you can do, healthy snacks, groceries, or a restaurant gift card would be great. It’s hard to get good food for the caregiver while caring for Bethany.
5. Lastly, you could help with Bethany’s health expenses. This is hard to suggest or even mention, but this is Bethany’s 5th time in the hospital in the past 7 months and I’m sure it won’t be her last. We have great insurance and had a nice health saving account, but unfortunately we ran though that savings about a month and a half ago. This being said, we covet your prayers more than anything else. God is our provider, and the Body of Christ is our family. If nothing else, you know how to pray more specifically for us.
If you can or wish to help in this way, you can either select the Paypal donation button at the bottom of this page or send it to our home address (email me if you wish to send something via mail). Again, we covet your prays before anything else. Thank you!
Thank you again for your friendship and concern for Bethany and our family. Again, if you can only do one thing, please pray, pray, and then pray some more. We love y’all!
In His grace,
Taylor & Angela