A not so quick update on Bethany…
Bethany has now been home one week. She continues to get stronger each day and her appetite is also improving. She strangely is craving Mexican food. I think she’s eaten some sort of Mexican 5 out of 7 days!
We returned to Atlanta yesterday (Wednesday) for a clinic visit. All went well…No surprises…Yeah!
So, what are the plans going forward?
Bethany will be readmitted to Children’s of Atlanta on March 27th to have her biliary tubes up-sized. This will be the last up-sizing. She will remain in the hospital, hopefully, for no more than 2-4 days. These tubes will remain in for 4-8 weeks. The length of time will be determined at the time of the placement of the new tubes.
We will re-evaluate her tubes sometime between the end on April and the middle of May. When we re-evaluate, Bethany’s doctors might balloon her biliary ducts, cut away some scar tissue, or remove the drains altogether. If the tubes are left in at that time, then they will most likely remain until the end of June.
Bethany has not returned to school yet. She is still recovering from her three week hospital stay. As I said previously, she is beginning to show signs of recovering her strength, but she is still far from being able to return to school. Her doctor has requested that Bethany receive homebound instruction until the end of the school year considering Bethany’s current health and the fact that Bethany will be admitted to the hospital at least two more times before the end of the school year. We have a meeting scheduled with Bethany’s 9th grade counselor and the homebound coordinator this coming Tuesday.
- Continue to pray for Bethany’s full healing. We will not know how successful the biliary drains are until they are removed in about 2-4 months. We are asking for a full and complete healing.
- Pray for no other infections within Bethany’s liver. A biliary infection these past three weeks is what has kept Bethany in the hospital.
- Pray Bethany can get the help she needs in making up all of her school work. Pray she can complete all work prior to the end of the school year. She would really like to enjoy a relaxing and healthy summer. It’s been 3 years since she hasn’t been extremely sick over the summer.
- Pray Bethany might be healthy enough to return to school prior to the end of the year. She really misses her friends and teachers and wants to return as soon as possible.
- Consider joining us for a prayer event for Bethany. I am currently putting together a 10 day prayer devotional/calender for Bethany. At the end of the 10 days of prayer, we will come together and lay hands on Bethany and pray for her full and complete healing. Pray for me as I work on this. I feel very strongly this is of God and that He wants us to believe Him for Bethany’s complete healing.
As always, thank you! Thank you for notes, email, surprise visits, food, gifts, and so much more. Many times people will ask, “How are you doing?” My answer often changes moment by moment. Honestly, both Angela and I are soul tired, but we are also refreshed because we know God is with us. God is with us because each of you are with us when you demonstrate His love, kindness, and grace to us. God is good, and He will be praised! I refuse to not praise God! He is good!
We love each of you and appreciate you more than words can say…
May God’s grace and peace be with you,
Taylor, Angela, Bethany, and Jonathan